Friday, February 16, 2007

what do you feed your ears?

I've decided to get some stuff cleared up regarding junk music. I made the change from secular music to Christian music because of the video played during J-Factor Camp; Hell's Bells 2. It made a lot of sense because I believe God wanted to speak to me on that issue, and I pray that He would unveil your eyes to this too.

Some of the pointers which the video mentioned were how music influences us. It is so subtle that we do not know the change, and will remain blind to it if not for divine intervention.

Another point was that Satan is known as the Prince of the Air. This means the media, not air in its literal sense. Also, Satan is also known as the Angel of Music, when he was still known as Lucifer. I have always known this, though exact references were never quite clear to me.

This is going to be a long post, regarding the references and interpretation from the bible. This is based on what I believe in and what I believe it to be, based on how God spoke to me regarding this issue which I struggled with. I will be using the KJV for the references, because it is made clearer to who Satan is; the Angel of Music.

The following passage from Ezekiel 28:11-19 is an allusion to Lucifer, before his fall, as being the Angel of Music.

"Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 'Son of man, tame up a lamentation upon the King of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee. By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee. All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more."

This passage, though mentions the King of Tyrus, is allegorically (a symbolic representation of a spiritual truth) referring to Satan. Why do I say so? Because not all parts of Scripture is read and interpreted in its literal sense. For example, when the bible says, in Psalm 80:8-11, "You brought a vine out of Egypt; You drove out the nations and planted it. You cleared the ground for it, and it took root and filled the land. The mountains were covered with its shade, the mighty cedars with its branches. It sent out its boughs to the sea, its shoots as far as the river."

The vine is allegorically referring to the nation of Israel. The boughs and shoots refer to the nation's outermost reaches and boundaries.

Let's go back to the passage of Ezekiel. It has to be an allegorical interpretation because the descriptions given to the alleged King of Tyrus cannot be fulfilled by an ordinary man.

An example of this is in verse 13, "Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God;" We know from Genesis, that there were only two mortals, Adam and Eve, who were ever in the Garden of Eden.

In verse 14, it implied that the alleged King of Tyrus was an angel, from, "Thou art anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so:" The alleged King of Tyrus was an angel (cherub/cherubim). And was appointed by God Himself (anointed cherub...I [God] have set thee so).

Also, the alleged King of Tyrus had access to the holy mountain of God (which I believe to be heaven), also seen in verse 14, "thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of stones of fire."

The alleged King of Tyrus was also driven and cast out from the holy mountain of God (confirms it means heaven), mentioned in verses 16 and 17, "By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore, I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty (confirms it to be Satan, because he prided himself to be higher than God), thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee."

Also, throughout the bible, when there was a change in character of a particular person, the name held meaning. When Saul was converted, his name was changed to Paul. When Simon was called to be a disciple, his name was changed to Peter as well. Likewise, when Lucifer fell and converted to evil, his name was changed to Satan. Satan in Hebrew means the adversary.

So now we are sure that Satan was an angel, we can cover the music bit about him.

In verse 13, it was also stated, "the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created."

In old English, the word 'tabor' was used for any drum. Tabouret and tambourine are diminutives of tabor, and denote the instrument now known as the tambourine. The tabret can be found in other parts of the bible as well, which refer to it as a musical instrument of percussion. Such as in: Genesis 31:27, 1 Samuel 10:5, Job 17:6, Isaiah 5:12, Isaiah 24:8, Isaiah 30:32 and in Jeremiah 31:4.

The word 'pipes' refers to wind instruments. Pretty obvious enough without explanation, right?

So, these two instruments, which can sum up as all musical instruments, rhythm and tone, were, as stated in the verse, "was prepared in thee in the day thou wast created." This can be translated into "created within you." It is therefore possible to assume that both the tabret, or tambourines and the pipes, or flutes, were all created within the literal body of Lucifer at that time which he was created. His body actually contained musical-like instruments of sound. Lucifer was obviously created by God, so that he could praise and make music unto God.

Are we now certain that Satan was the Angel of Music; Lucifer, or is it just making assumptions? Let's look at another passage in the bible which is allegorically referring to Satan as well. In this particular passage, Isaiah 14:9014, it refers to Satan as the King of Babylon.

"Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy covering: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations. All they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? Art thou become like unto us? Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee. How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, 'I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the Most High.'"

However, there is a direct allegorical reference here as the name of Lucifer was used, as well as the title of the son of morning. This passage is the description of the actions of Lucifer, who tried to usurp the throne of God. In verse 14, it said, "I will be like the Most High." Sounds familiar? Of course it does, because he said the exact same thing in the Garden of Eden, disguised as the serpent to tempt Adam and Eve.

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." -Genesis 3:5

The point of my saying all this is if in fact, Satan has a connection with and a direct influence on music. What types of music are you listening to? The world tries to shroud this truth by classifying music into all types of genres; R&B, hip-hop, rock, pop, punk, emo, ska and whatnot. Some Christians who listen to other music feel safe because they are not listening to 'Satanic' music. They believe that there are three main types of music, neutral mainstream music with no vulgarities or condoning of violence or sex, Christian music, and 'Satanic' music.

This is not true because there are only two types of music, those which glorify God, and those that do not. 'Satanic' music glorifies Satan, which is of course, a sin because our God is a jealous God and He will not have us be worshipping anything or anyone, other than Him. Music as created by God in the form of Lucifer was made with the sole purpose of glorifying God, up to the point when Lucifer rebelled against God.

Do not be deceived, even the music which sounds pleasant and pleasing to the ears, we have to have discernment against, because the wiles of the devil is not so straightforward. In 2 Corinthians 11:14, it says, "And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light." The devil is able to appear as an angel of light, what more the music which he has full control of?

From a more personal note, I have looked back on my life when I was heavily involved with other types of music, and those of you who knew me previously, I was not a nice person. I was often angry and bitter and full of hate and unforgiveness. The music you plug yourself up to for hours each stretch has a huge influence on you. Trust me on that. We will not be able to give up the old lifestyle and music on our own, no matter how determined we are. We need God's help to move away from that temptation. It is my prayer that we would all be able to move together and use music only for the glorification of God.

Of course, with all being said, it is still up to your own discretion and spiritual discernment to decide what is not appropriate for your own listening. What does into our body is what comes out through the way in which we live our lives.

"What comes out of a man is what makes him unclean. For from within, our of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immortality, theft, murder, adultery." -Mark 7:20-21

What are the types of music are YOU listening to?